This one was inspired by my sister-in-law Tracey. She makes this AMAZING meatless taco dip - seriously, it's addicting. I can't seem to remove myself from the tray whenever she serves it. I've started making it whenever I host an event, and it's always a huge hit.
I usually serve the dip with Tostitos® Scoops!®, and it's so easy to just eat scoop after scoop of the delicious dip and lose track of exactly how much you've eaten (at least that's what I do). I wanted to try to revamp the recipe a little bit into a version that was easier to divide into pre-specified servings, without losing the deliciousness Tracey designed. Enter mini fillo shells, and the taco bites were created.
These are SO easy and SO delicious, and the best part is that they're so low-calorie that you can afford to eat a whole bunch in one sitting. The secret is using mini fillo shells, which are crispy and delicious but barely add any calories to the recipe.
Apologies again for my (lack of) photography skills. Maybe I'll get better as I continue to post. For now, though, I'll just post the recipe.
- 30 mini fillo shells (2 boxes)
- 4 oz fat free cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/3 cup fat free salsa
- 1/4 cup low fat Greek yogurt (I used Fage Total 2%)
- 1/4 small red bell pepper, chopped into small pieces
- 1/4 small green bell pepper, chopped into small pieces
- 1/4 medium tomato, chopped into small pieces (I used a plum tomato)
- 1/2 cup reduced fat Mexican style shredded cheese
Servings: 10 servings (3 taco bites each)
Weight Watchers PointsPlus value: 2 (for 3 taco bites)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the empty shells on a baking sheet. Bake for 3-5 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely before filling. Note: This is an optional step. The shells come pre-baked and ready to fill, so all you need to do is let them defrost. Baking them adds a little extra crispiness, which I like, so that's why I included it as step 1.
- In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, salsa, and yogurt. Once combined, distribute the mix evenly among the cooled-off shells. TIP: If you're like me, and you forget to leave the cream cheese out to let it get to room temperature, just stick it in the microwave for about 30 seconds. That should do the trick.
- Sprinkle the chopped peppers and tomato over the shells. Top it off with the cheese, and you're done! Enjoy!
Super easy, really yummy, and guaranteed to be a crowd pleaser. As always, any feedback you have would be greatly appreciated!
Until next time!