Monday, March 30, 2015

Honey Teriyaki Chicken Wrap

If you're like me, you don't want to spend a long time in the kitchen after work preparing dinner. I've mentioned that I commute from Long Island to the city for work, so most nights I don't get home until around 7:00. But even if I got home earlier, I wouldn't want to spend too much time getting dinner ready.

That's why this wrap is perfect. It's tasty, fresh, and takes only minutes to prepare. You could cut the prep time down even more if you cook your chicken in advance.




I mentioned earlier that you can save time by cooking chicken in advance. Now, I'm not a chicken expert - I don't want to say with certainty how long cooked chicken will last in a refrigerator before it goes bad. But I've grilled a bunch of chicken breasts on a Sunday, packed them into an airtight Ziploc®, and refrigerated them, and they were fine for about a week. At the very least, you should be able to eat the chicken for up to a few days after you cook it, as long as it's refrigerated and sealed.

There are plenty of ways to cook chicken. You can use the stove, poach it (when I poach I season with salt, pepper, and garlic, but don't add anything else), cook it in the oven (I'd use no-calorie nonstick spray instead of butter or olive oil), use a crock pot, or use my method of choice - grill it on the George Foreman. I season my chicken with salt, pepper, and garlic powder and then just throw it on the Foreman at 400 degrees for 12-14 minutes. 


While the chicken is cooking, add your lettuce, grated cheese, teriyaki sauce, and croutons to a bowl.


The recipe calls for 3 1/2 tbsp of marinade. It doesn't seem like a lot, but trust me, it's more than enough. I used to be guilty of using way more dressing or sauce than necessary because I never believed the small portions would be enough, but once I started measuring more carefully, I realized that a little does go a long way.

When the chicken is finished, cut it into bite-sized pieces and add to the bowl.


Toss the chicken with the rest of the ingredients. Lay the wrap on a plate and place the chicken teriyaki mixture on top of it. 

I like to put my wrap on the Foreman for a few minutes because I think it's better warm - that's just my preference, though. Definitely not a requirement.


The final step is to roll it up as tightly as you can, and enjoy! Also, in doing this, I've added a new goal to my cooking goals: learn how to roll a wrap properly. I'm pretty bad at it.


Make sure you have a fork handy in case you're bad at rolling wraps like I am - it comes in handy to eat the filling that falls out.

So that's that! This is one of my favorites. I've been making this a lot lately. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Until next time!

Ingredients

  • One 4.8-oz chicken breast fillet, cooked (I like Perdue® Perfect Portions® boneless, skinless chicken breasts)
  • 1 cup chopped lettuce (or salad mix of your choice, I like to use Dole)
  • 2 tbsp grated cheese
  • 3 1/2 tbsp honey teriyaki marinade (I use Ken's)
  • 6-9 croutons (I absolutely love the Butter & Garlic ones by Fresh Gourmet)
  • 1 wrap of your choice (100 calories or less)
Serving size: Entire recipe
Weight Watchers PointsPlus value: 10

Instructions


  1. Cook the chicken using your preferred method.
  2. While the chicken is cooking, add the lettuce, grated cheese, marinade, and croutons to a small bowl.
  3. When the chicken is finished, cut it into bite-sized pieces and add to the bowl. Toss until everything is evenly coated in marinade.
  4. Spread the mixture across the wrap and roll it tightly.


Nutritional Information


No comments:

Post a Comment